Thursday, August 23, 2018

The Climax Approaches

Yes, the commentators can't resist saying that Manafort's conviction - one vote short of guilty on all counts - and Cohen's plea and accusation do not mark the end, nor the beginning of the end, but perhaps the end of the beginning.  They lose no chance to repeat someone else's bon mot.  They reflect on how long Watergate took to come apart, or to come together, whichever way you look at it. 

But I'll stick with my analysis of last month when I said, comparing Trump to a stock, that the tax bill was probably the high, and the lows now lie ahead.  I'd say that yes, Watergate took a few years, but then Nixon was smarter than Trump by a lot, and the path to impeachment was not well known then.  Watergate has lit the way, though, and now we can see our way forward more clearly.  We'll go faster this time.

So I'd say the end has begun and things will travel a lot faster than people think.   Why are the GOP leaders so quiet?  Don't they see the end so clearly?  Don't they understand how silly they look?  What I'd say is this: I think they see it very clearly indeed; they just want to get in their last licks.  The GOP objectives have been destroy ACA (in process), get a big tax bill for the rich (done), and fill SCOTUS with young conservatives (one down, one to go). 

So,that's their motivation for silence and Trump-toleration at this point.  As soon as Kavanaugh is decided, one way or the other, they won't have much more on their agenda, and they will be able to go back to electoral politics.  At that point the dam will break, and as they open up Donald will find himself without a life raft.  What will they care?

The Kavanaugh affair is then the final act of the Trump Crime Family Administration.  But, even though we might picture that as a relief, it really won't be.  It's hard to predict what will happen, but the bitter fight will go on, the GOP will continue to be enemy rather than opponent, they will fatuously claim that this is the time for "unity rather than divisiveness," and the Dems will be tempted to hear that siren song; while some will say we need justice, others will say that will be too divisive, etc. etc.

As for me, I will count myself as being among those who will take pleasure in every orange jump suit and ask for more, until they get Ivanka and Jared along with the easy mark, Donny Junior, and the other merry band of miscreants, the stupid evils of the Trump Crime Family Administration.  Personally, I'd like to see justice meted out à la Nuremberg, and I'd like to see the evil-doers in the dock à la Goering and Joey Goebbels.  But that's unlikely, and I guess I'll have to be satisfied with the jump suits.

What crooks they are, with every fiber and down to every pore!  Crooked beyond crooked!  Carpe diem, be here now, watch them get locked up.  I'm just waiting for Act V.

Budd Shenkin

No comments:

Post a Comment