Tuesday, September 16, 2014

On the impertinence of others


My lifelong friend is Bob Levin.  He always says that when we were young we didn't like each other. I always answer, Well, I liked you.  He is actually a sweetheart.

Today Bob has written in his new blog about his adventures in local establishments trying to stand up for order, as others push themselves forward in competition over very little.   Check it out at http://www.theboblevin.com/?p=245.

I have had my own difficulties with the trespasses of others. I have always thought that saving a place - like, coming down at 7 AM and plopping your bags onto a couple of poolside lounges that you will then occupy physically from 10 AM to 11 AM and 2 PM to 3 PM, was typical New York (or LA) behavior, and that resorts should be forced to post, much as McDonald's has to post calories, a New Yorker Quotient, so we could avoid high NYQ hotels.

My belief in this thesis, I believe, conforms also to my seeking to identify gender and ethnicity of the latest terrible driver, driving 50 MPH in the left lane so it's all clear ahead and people driving a normal speed have to pass on the right.
It seems, however, that the NYQ and the bad-driver identification do not provide usable results.  The reserve a seat behavior spreads to all groups because it works, since most hotels don't enforce a limit -- some do, and good for them!  Likewise, police enforce mostly a speed limit rather than competence and courtesy.
So there you are.  I believe this lack of enforcement is lamentable and anti-social.   By the broken windows thesis, it's a short step from these misdemeanors to ISIS. 

Such a world!

budd shenkin

No comments:

Post a Comment