Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Health Care Costs

In response to my last post, from a colleague:

Hi Budd,

We all have our stories. I had radiation therapy for cancer. 12 weeks, 15 minutes a day. The charge was $3500. Per day. That’s 60 days treatment at $3500. $210,000. BCBS paid at 100%. I am lucky to get 80% on a $85 office visit.


What is going on here, with these costs? As I've said before, let's forget utilization - what about prices? There is just no curbing them at present, and to my mind no prospect of such. Here in the East Bay, the rising cost of health insurance, which is a consequence of these prices, is simply driving more and more people to Kaiser, which can control its prices. This exodus from private insurance reduces the pool of private patients at Sutter and elsewhere, who respond by raising prices even higher. This is what is called a death spiral.

Nothing goes on forever, so there will be an end to it, but it's hard to see right now what that end will be. I wish I could be brilliant and see it, but I'll leave that for the often-wrong economists. The idea of ACO's, like HMO's before them, is for a group of providers to be able to look at a group of patients and plan rationally for their efficient care, saving money and distributing it to themselves and kicking some back to the government, but it's a speculative program and will take some time to take effect. In the meantime life goes on, trends continue, and anti-trust is silent.

Budd Shenkin

11 comments:

  1. With the rising health care cost it has become extremely important to have an insurance plan to get rid of all the expenses that are made on taking care of health. Health plans will not pay for all but prove as a helping hand and also reduces the stress and burden as most of the expenses are met. I do recommend my near and dear ones to get insured before its too late.

    ReplyDelete
  2. business management can make or break the success of a company that is why it is very very critical~ Dental Care

    ReplyDelete
  3. A person essentially help to make seriously articles I would state. This is the first time I frequented your website page and thus far? I surprised with the research you made to make this particular publish incredible. Fantastic job! Fathers Day Flower lyrics

    ReplyDelete
  4. good point, make sense to me, am just wondering why all the comments here are irrelant is that okay with you? Happy Friendship Anniversary Messages

    ReplyDelete
  5.  Fatty Liver Disease is a fairly broad term that covers multiple conditions that all have one base similarity, the collection of fatty deposits on the liver.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice web site!! Guy .. Excellent .. Wonderful .. I will bookmark your website and take the feeds additionally…I am satisfied to locate numerous useful information right here within the post. Thank you for sharing..
    It is quite a effective point! In reality wanna express gratitude for that information you have shared. Just keep on creating this form of content. I most certainly will be your constant subscriber. Thanks once more.
    I do love the manner in which you have framed this specific matter plus it does present me personally some fodder for consideration.
    Lambingan

    ReplyDelete
  7. ello. excellent job. I did not anticipate this. This is a splendid articles. Thanks!
    I’m happy I found this weblog,
    DON'T LOOK BACK GAME

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for this post. I definitely agree with what you are saying. I have been talking about this subject a lot lately with my mother so hopefully this will get him to see my point of view. Fingers crossed! happy birthday happy birthday bro birthday wishes gaming laptops best gaming laptop

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is really fascinating, You are a very professional blogger. I’ve joined your rss feed and sit up for searching for more of your great post. Also, I have shared your site in my social networks! new year 2017 with quotes

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! This can be one particular of the most useful blogs We have ever arrive across on this subject. Actually Great. I’m also an expert in this topic so I can understand your hard work. new financial year quotes

    ReplyDelete